Strawberry-orange quick jam is the perfect thing to do with all those berries you just picked with your kids or with left over fruit you bought from the market that may not get eaten. This is a super easy summer cooking project that your kids could probably do this by themselves. I say let them try. This recipe incorporates marmalade, which adds to the complexity of the jam in a way I love. (If you prefer to make a straight strawberry jam, Martha Stewart has a simple quick strawberry jam recipe that you should check out.) Stored properly, my strawberry-orange quick jam recipe will keep in the refrigerator for one week. But if people in your house consume jam as fast as everyone in mine does, my guess is that it won’t last long. Perfect on morning toast, added to yogurt or topped on ice cream, this jam is absolutely delicious. If you are feeling ambitious, or you have simply picked a ton of strawberries, you can also try Ina Garten’s recipe for canning your own traditional fresh strawberry jam, which will be shelf stable for a number of months.
Strawberry-Orange Quick Jam
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, trimmed and cut in quarters
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 vanilla bean, split and seeds scrapped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- Step 1 In a medium saucepan, place the strawberries, sugar, vanilla bean seeds/pod and vanilla extract. Mix well to evenly coat. Allow this mixture to sit for about 10 minutes to release the juice from the strawberries.
- Step 2 Place the saucepan over high heat and bring the strawberry mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to simmer and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Step 3 Remove from the heat and using a wood spoon, mash the strawberries. Stir in the orange marmalade. Remove the vanilla bean pod and discard.
- Step 4 Place the jam in a two-cup glass jar and allow to cool slightly.
- Step 5 Once the jam has cooled slightly, move to the refrigerator and allow to set for at least 1 hour, ideally more. Stored in a glass container with a lid, the quick jam will last about 1 week refrigerated.