Power bites and power bars continue to fascinate me. I have been enjoying various types, and so has my family. Honestly, you can’t go wrong if you are trying to come up with an option in your own apartment or house; just let your flavor preference guide you. These are my latest. These are cranberry nut energy bars, and they match the season perfectly. Loaded with cranberries and pistachios, I tossed in some white chocolate chips as well to satisfy my inner child. The result is a winning combination, at least if you ask me.
It’s possible these are my favorite power bites yet. Loaded with whole grain oats, I used a mixture of pistachios and almonds for an extra nutty flavor. Dates and agave are the main sweetening agent, reducing the need for too much white chocolate chip indulgence.
Bite-size and easy to store, these can provide a little jolt of energy for anyone on the go. Pack them in school lunches, use them as a snack, or grab a couple on a late morning when there is no time for breakfast.
Health-wise, I think most people know that eating whole grains is good for us. For those who don’t read up on nutrition, a grain is a “whole grain” if it contains the three key parts of a seed: the bran, germ, and endosperm. All grains start as whole grains, but they don’t all end up that way: key parts are stripped away during the milling process. Often that stripping takes away nutrients and fiber. The evidence is increasingly strong that fiber helps control appetite, and we all can use a little help with that!
Cranberry Nut Energy Bites
- 9 Medjool dates, pitted and cut in quarters
- 1/3 cup, agave
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon chai seeds
- 1 1/4 cup whole grain oats
- 1/4 cup pistachios, shelled
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips
- Step 1 In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade, add the dates, agave, almond butter, chai seed, oats, pistachios, almonds, cranberries and vanilla. Pulse on/off until roughly chopped.
- Step 2 Place the oat-mixture into a medium mixing bowl. Add the white chocolate chips and blend. Place in the refrigerator and chill for about 20 minutes.
- Step 3 Once chilled, use your hands to shape into 1-inch balls, pressing your hands firmly together to shape. A touch more almond butter can be added to help shape and hold if needed. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Note: the energy bites should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator and will last for about 1 week.