Some recipes you just need in your life, this is one of those. If you are a chocolate lover, keep reading. This rich, decadent double chocolate banana bread is something I’ve recently become obsessed with. This recipe is not mine, it’s from a food blog called Just So Tasty. I have only lightly adapted the recipe, but the original recipe can be found here.
Loaded with cocoa and chocolate chips with just a touch of cinnamon which makes this classic sweet bread truly exceptional. My kids devoured this bread the very first time I made it. Now it’s a go-to if my boys are in the mood for chocolate. Banana bread has always been a favorite of mine and I have made a more traditional chocolate chip banana bread for years. I always find it amazing that my kids claim they hate bananas, yet banana bread of any kind is something they can’t seem to say no to.
I often talk about using good quality ingredients, some things matter more than others. Quality-wise, cocoa powder and chocolate are two things that matter in this recipe, so don’t skimp, use the good stuff. In my version of this recipe I reduced the amount of banana and cinnamon used. I chose to highlight the chocolate flavor a bit more for a truly indulgent chocolatey taste. But you can easily adapt this recipe to meet your preferences or mood. This is the perfect sweet bread for Fall and one that won’t last all that long so you may want to double the batch!
Double Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 bananas, mashed well
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup good quality cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper leaving enough for overhang and lightly grease. Set aside.
- Step 2 In a small bowl, mash the bananas and place near your work station.
- Step 3 In the bowl of a kitchen mixer, such as a Cusinart fitted with a paddle attachment, add the melted butter and sugar, beat on medium until well incorporated.
- Step 4 With the mixer on low, add the eggs, vanilla and mashed bananas.
- Step 5 Gradually add the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt, mix until combined.
- Step 6 Using a large rubber spatula, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Step 7 Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Place on the oven and bake for about 50 minutes until firm and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Step 8 Remove the bread form the oven and allow to cool completely before removing from the pan and slicing.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin