Almost no one turns down a brownie. Honestly, why would they? Brownies are a delicious, easy to eat, simple pleasure. Limitless variations of this classic treat exist: from dense, gooey, fudge-like squares, to light, cake-like frosted treats. Although the brownie supposedly was created in 1893 by The Palmer House Hotel, the first well-known brownie recipe did not appear until the 1896 version of the well-known Boston Cooking-School Cook Book, by Fannie Farmer. With Americans’ love of sweets, it did not take long for brownies to become a popular favorite for everything from lunchbox treats to restaurant dessert menus. In my recipe for Mexican brownies, the use of cinnamon and cayenne pepper give these brownies a unique flavor, with a twinge of unexpected heat. Serve with a generous scoop of you favorite flavor ice cream, and you have a fantastic dessert suitable for even a dinner party with friends. The cayenne pepper can easily be adjusted higher or lower depending on your (or your family members’) likes.
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line the bottom of an 8×8 square baking pan with parchment or a well greased 8 or 9-inch cast iron pan. Lightly grease the parchment and pan. Set aside.
- Step 2 In a small saucepan, melt the unsweetened chocolate and butter over low heat until smooth. Remove from the heat, mix well and cool slightly.
- Step 3 In a large mixing bowl, whisk the melted chocolate, brown sugar, cinnamon, cayenne and salt. Mix until well incorporated.
- Step 4 Add the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla and mix well.
- Step 5 Add the flour and whisk until blended. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Step 6 Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, even the top with a rubber tip spatula. Bake on the middle rack for 35 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Step 7 Once the brownies have cooled completely, remove from the pan. Serve with a scoop of your favorite ice cream.