Everyone needs a go-to, easy salad. This is my new one. I love tofu almost as much as I love salads, so I feature it prominently in this one for this easy and tasty tofu cabbage salad. Tofu, also known as bean curd, is cultivated by curdling soy milk and then pressing the resulting curds into soft blocks. It is a common component in East Asian and Southeast Asian cuisines. Cabbage is a favorite of mine as well and I love the crunch it gives to salads, mixed in, you won’t even know it’s there.
Introduced to the US in the early 1950’s, tofu was not a big hit. With a reputation as bland, tasteless and boring, most American shied away from tofu. By 1986, tofu was actually declared America’s “most loathed food“. Today, tofu with its high protein, low-fat, nutrient-dense qualities is more widely accepted than ever before.
Tofu is now available in a variety of types and textures. So even those who say they don’t like tofu should keep trying it. In this recipe, I use a delicious, organic, non-GMO braised tofu. With a slightly firmer texture and subtle spice mixture, this tofu can hold up to the cabbage and romaine mixture without getting lost behind the flavorful Asian flavor dressing I serve with it. And for those out there who question soy’s safety, check out this link, it covers the entire history of soy. Start your week off right with this healthy Summer salad that is tasty and fills you up.
Tofu Cabbage Salad
- For the Salad:
- 3 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 4 small red sweet mini peppers, kept whole and thinly sliced
- 4 small yellow sweet mini peppers, kept whole and thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) package organic, non-GMO, braised tofu, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- For the Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon agave
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha chili sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- dash of black pepper
- Step 1 For the Salad: In a large mixing bowl add the lettuce, cabbage, peppers, scallions, tofu, cilantro, peanuts and sesame seeds. Mix well and set aside.
- Step 2 For the Dressing: In a small mixing bowl, add the mirin, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, agave, Sriracha sauce, salt and pepper. Using a whisk, mix well to incorporate.
- Step 3 Prior to serving, drizzle dressing over mixed salad and lightly toss to coat.