My sheet pan chicken recipe was well received, so I am adding another easy sheet pan meal to my recipe arsenal. I love shrimp, including shrimp ceviche. To me, shrimp is a neutral shellfish. You can do almost anything with shrimp, provided you don’t overcook them. They are also a quick-meal option, which I love. Three out of four people in my house love shrimp. My older son is trying, but at 13 is still not a huge fish guy. If I had to bet, that will change. In the meantime, as long as he continues to try seafood (especially when I make it), then I’m happy.
To help make this more a full family meal, I added two vegetables he loves: asparagus and potatoes. This is a simple recipe. Nice flavor, but nothing overpowering. Fingerling potatoes are my favorite potato for oven roasting. Creamy, flavorful and they crisp up nicely—adding texture. The primary difficulty with a sheet pan dinner is getting everything cooked well, with nothing overdone. After all, vegetables cook differently than protein and potatoes. But convenience matters. And even with professional culinary training, I love easy-to-make meals. So my trick here is timing. You start with the potatoes, add the vegetables, and finish with the shrimp. It’s all in one pan, all in the same oven. But the you control the cooking times based on when you add items. The end result is a lovely summer meal, cooked to perfection, which hopefully all (or at least most) of your family will enjoy.
Sheet Pan Garlic Shrimp
- 1 pound fresh jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined and tail left on
- 1 leek, cleaned and diced (pale green and white parts only)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Step 2 In a medium bowl add the shrimp, leeks, 1 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Using your hands, toss well to coat. Set aside.
- Step 3 In a second small mixing bowl add the halved potatoes, 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt. Toss well. Place the seasoned potatoes on a baking sheet in one layer. Place in the oven and roast for about 20 minutes.
- Step 4 While the potatoes are roasting, place the asparagus in the bowl used for the potatoes and toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Mix well.
- Step 5 Once the potatoes are tender, carefully remove the sheet pan and add the asparagus. Place back in the oven and roast for about 8-10 minutes depending on how large the asparagus are.
- Step 6 Once the asparagus are tender, carefully scatter the shrimp-leek mixture on the sheet pan and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes until the shrimp are pink in color and firm to the touch.
- Step 7 Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. To serve divide among serving plates and garnish with chopped chives.