One of my closest friends hates chilled soup. I think of her every single time I make one. This is my chilled cucumber yogurt soup, a long-time favorite of my whole family, but especially my younger son. Like many memories, the years are a bit blurred, I can’t recall how old my son was when I began making this soup, but it was his love of cucumbers, yogurt and dill (the three essential ingredients in this recipe) that made it prevail as favorite throughout the years. This is a lovely, simple, blended summer soup that keeps you out of the kitchen and cools you down on scorching hot summer days.
The truth is, soups don’t need to be hot to be delicious. Cold soup recipes are perfect to make in big batches, and can be just as wonderful as their hearty cousins. Dinning al fresco in the backyard with this chilled soup or a tasty tomato or green gazpacho soup is something my family does often in summer months.
Technically speaking, this chilled cucumber yogurt soup could be called a blender soup, because all you need to do is prep the ingredients and blend it. I tend to make larger quantities in the summer and just keep it on hand as a great, healthier go-to option for snacks or meals. This recipe is also very adaptable. You can adjust the amount of yogurt and sour cream and even play around with the fat levels if you are trying to make it even healthier. But I will warn you against trying to make this completely fat-free as you loose texture and end up adding sugar to replace the fat. That said, taste as you go and adjust to your palate, it’s not overly complicated.
Chilled Cucumber Yogurt Soup
- 3 cups hothouse or Persian cucumbers, skin on, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, fronds only
- 2 1/2 cups full-fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup full-fat sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- pinch of black pepper
- Step 1 In the bowl of a food processor, such as a Cuisinart fitted with a blade attachment, add the cucumbers, onion, dill, yogurt, sour cream, salt, cayenne and black pepper, blend on high for one minute, scrapping down the sides as needed, until smooth.
- Step 2 Pour the cucumber soup into an airtight container and chill for at least 1 hour or until needed.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin