I serve these mozzarella sticks with a side of marinara sauce, just like I used to have them. For the sauce, I actually use my simple tomato sauce recipe with just a dash of dried Italian seasoning mixed it. If you are looking for a more traditional zest marinara sauce, check out this link. You could make this recipe a fancy one if you desire: prepare your own breadcrumbs, making the seasoning mix yourself. But the goal here was to recreate the classic and not to over think it. And this beats the heck out of the frozen supermarket offerings.
- 12 low-moisture part skim mozzarella cheese sticks, cut in half
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 1/2 cups Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil for frying
- simple tomato sauce (optional).
- Step 1 Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Step 2 Place the flour, egg milk mixture and breadcrumbs in 3 small shallow bowls.
- Step 3 Working with a couple of pieces of string cheese at a time, dredge in the flour (shaking off any excess), followed by the egg mixture, followed by the bread crumbs making sure to coat completely each time. Place the breaded mozzarella sticks on the prepared backing sheet and repeat with the remaining cheese sticks.
- Step 4 Once all of the cheese sticks have been coated, place in the freezer for two hours.
- Step 5 To serve, line a plate with paper towels and set aside.
- Step 6 Place a good amount of oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. When hot, add a few frozen cheese mozzarella sticks and cook, rotating them gently to cook evenly, about 1-2 minutes, removing before any cheese begins to ooze out. Using a slotted spoon, carefully remove the mozzarella stick from the oil and place on the prepared plate to drain. Repeat with the remaining mozzarella sticks.
- Step 7 Serve hot with warm tomato sauce.