I don’t feel like I’m 45. So much so that recently, I have caught myself saying the wrong age–like 44, or 25. They always said that would happen. I’m not going to complain about being 45. Age is all relative, and truthfully I only feel old sometimes. Typically, it’s a few days after doing something that I can’t even recall doing because it was so unmemorable, yet it causes some strange pain in my back that, for the life of me, I can’t explain. (Hopefully others can relate to this scenario). The sad realization always comes later: I didn’t actually “do” anything, yet I somehow managed to “tweak” something. I don’t like that this happens, but I think I’ve accepted it. And by accepted it, I mean I just push through and ignore it. Pushing through makes me feel young. It’s all about mindset.
I developed this drink based on the classic vodka lemonade I know from my younger years. Like a screwdriver, it will forever remind me of my 20’s. This cocktail is a fun, refreshing summer drink to celebrate youth no matter what your actual age. It’s also a quick, easy go-to that can work at a daytime barbecue or late into the evening. I tend to shy away from sweeter drinks, but not always. This one is sweet (for me), but it’s also tart and effervescent. The sparkling lemon San Pellegrino Lemonata mellows out the sweetness and lightens it a bit, making it a great choice for a gathering with friends or any time you just want to reclaim your youth. Cheers to a fun and safe Labor Day!
- 2 1/2 ounces vodka
- 3 tablespoons frozen pink lemonade concentrate
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4-5 ounces sparkling lemon San Pellegrino
- lemon wheel, for garnish
- Step 1 Fill a lowball glass with a good amount of ice and set aside.
- Step 2 Using a cocktail mixer, add the vodka, frozen lemonade concentrate and lemon juice. Shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Step 3 Pour into the prepared serving glass. Top with sparkling soda and garnish with lemon wheel.