Hello Summer! Is it just me, or have you been waiting for it as much as I have? Long sunny carefree days and no school lunches is something to celebrate in my house. After living in California for 11 years now, I need warm temperatures and lots of sunlight. Summer delivers both in abundance. Summertime is such a great time of year for healthy eating too. So many amazing fruits and vegetables are at their peak, and options for refreshing food and drink are numerous. I created this cocktail to celebrate the start of summer and all the wonderful things that come with it. Fruity and effervescent, this vodka blackberry breeze is divine.
Blackberries are one of my favorite berries and underutilized in the cocktail world, if you ask me. And they are loaded with numerous healthy attributes. Surprisingly, this delicate berry contains at least a third of the daily recommended value for four important nutrients and has been found to fight everything from premature skin aging to aggressive cancers. It has a rich history and, bonus, can be used in virtually any type of food (or drink). With all those health benefits, I think we should all eat more blackberries this summer. Added to this cocktail, blackberries complement the ginger beer in a refreshing way that can make even a hot, humid East coast summer night tolerable.
Vodka Blackberry Breeze
- 4 blackberries
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3-4 ounces ginger beer
- sugar, for dusting the rim
- lime wedge, for garnish
- blackberries, for garnish
- Step 1 Place some sugar on a small plate. Use a lime wedge to wet the rim of a lowball cocktail glass or (jam jar for a more casual feel). Dip the class into the sugar to coat. Fill with crushed ice and set aside.
- Step 2 Using a cocktail shaker, add the blackberries and using a muddler, muddle the berries until well smashed. Add the vodka and lime juice and shake vigorously. Add mixture to the prepared glass.
- Step 3 Top with ginger beer. Garnish with a lime wedge and a few blackberries.