This strawberry-balsamic tequila sour is a refreshing, sweet cocktail with just the right amount of sour to keep you sipping. Summer may be slowly coming to an end, but warm nights, may linger for just a bit longer. So, whether you are holding onto those carefree vacation days or just in need of a great cocktail, this tequila sour is one to try. A traditional tequila sour has a few things in common with a margarita but the tequila is paired with lemon juice and sugar, and it is typically served on the rocks and garnished with lemon (or lime) peel. This recipe adds muddled fresh strawberries, balsamic vinegar and fresh mint, elevating this to a margarita-style, daiquiri cousin, that is simply irresistible.
This recipe is not complicated but it calls for you to “muddle fruit.” Muddling is a great way to infuse fresh fruit, herb and even vegetable flavors into your cocktail. The muddling of fresh berries makes this more of a berry-infused cocktail as opposed to a thicker daiquiri. If you are not familiar with how to properly muddle, click here to read about this technique. This fun, refreshing drink can work well at a backyard BBQ with family, poolside with friends or any time you are simply looking to recreate that carefree summer-time feeling. Cheers!
Strawberry-Balsamic Tequila Sour
- 2 1/2 ounces sliced strawberries (about 8)
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 3/4 ounces lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 10 mint leaves
- 2 1/2 ounces tequila
- mint sprig and strawberry, for garnish
- Step 1 Fill a cocktail class with a good amount of ice and set aside.
- Step 2 Using a cocktail shaker, add the strawberries, simple syrup, lime juice, balsamic vinegar. Muddle the mixture until the berries begin to dissolve.
- Step 3 Add the mint leaves and muddle only a few more times. Note: If you muddle the leaves too much, they become bitter.
- Step 4 Add the tequila and a cup of ice. Shake vigorously.
- Step 5 Pour the mixture into the prepared glass. Garnish with a mint sprig and a whole strawberry.