I enjoy a good cosmopolitan. This is my grown-up drink of choice if I order a cocktail. So creating this recipe for a pomegranate lime cosmopolitan was especially fun for me. I am also a big fan of pomegranates, which I think are underutilized. I have fond childhood memories of dissecting these juicy fruits, making a mess and dyeing my hands and mouth red. It was always worth it for the slightly sweet, refreshing, crunchy treat. Now, we are spoiled: you can buy pomegranate seeds in a neat little container, without any mess or hassle. You can also buy the sweet juice, made by Pom, so there is no need to work too hard for this lovely cocktail.
There is disagreement in the cocktail world about who created the classic cosmopolitan. Some believe they originated in Provincetown. Others claim that cosmopolitans were created in Miami. Either way, cosmos, as they are informally known, quickly gained popularity beginning in the 1990’s. They were further popularized by Sex In The City. The cosmo became Carrie Bradshaw’s drink of choice throughout most of the show. Cosmos are now firmly rooted as one of the most popular cocktails of the past twenty years. I was late to the cosmo craze; I discovered them in my 30’s. But I’m delighted to have found this pretty, fruity cocktail, which is usually served in a coupa or martini glass. In my recipe for a pomegranate lime cosmopolitan, I think the addition of pomegranate juice to the classic cosmo recipe makes the color prettier and the flavor profile a bit more interesting.
Pomegranate Lime Cosmopolitan
- 1 1/2 ounces vodka
- 3/4 ounce triple sec
- 1/2 ounce pomegranate juice
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate seeds, for garnish
- lime slice, for garnish
- Step 1 Place a cocktail glass in the freezer to chill, ideally for 30 minutes.
- Step 2 Place the vodka, triple sec, pomegranate juice and lime juice in a cocktail shaker and fill halfway with ice. Shake vigorously until the outside of the shaker it very cold.
- Step 3 Remove the glass from the freezer. Place the pomegranate seeds in the bottom of the glass. Strain mixture into the glass. Garnish with lime slice.