My fascination with mocktails continues. I’m not typically a juice drinker, so coming up with mocktail recipes on the less-sweet side has been a fun project. This recipe for a sparkling orange-carrot mocktail took me some time to fine-tune, but it’s winner and super refreshing on a hot day.
Even though I don’t love carrots, boy are they good for you. Carrots are actually one of the most popular and versatile vegetables in the world. As a chef, I use them often, almost as much as I use onions. Known for their bright vibrant orange color, they actually come many colors including purple, yellow, white and red. Carrots are loaded with antioxidants called carotenoids, one of which is beta-carotene–which is responsible for many of its health benefits. Carrot juice is a great concentrated dose of Vitamins A, C, D, E and K as well as fiber.
With all of this health benefit in carrots, why not make a mocktail out of it? Carrot juice mixed with fresh orange juice, lime, sparkling mineral water and a touch of simple syrup makes a not-so-sweet, refreshing, healthful elixir that may just hook you.
Sparkling Orange-Carrot Mocktail
- 3 ounces carrot juice
- 4 ounces freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons simple syrup
- 1 ounce lime juice
- 2 ounces sparkling mineral water
- lime slice, for garnish
- Step 1 Add a good amount of crushed ice to desired glass and set aside.
- Step 2 Using a cocktail shaker, add the carrot juice, orange juice, simple syrup, lime juice and a handful of ice. Shake vigorously for 20 seconds.
- Step 3 Strain the mixture into the prepared serving glass. Top with the sparkling mineral water. Garnish with a lime slice.