This is a Havana cocktail and I love this drink almost as much as I love the song Havana by Camila Cabello. A rum-based drink that is served “up,” this is smooth and fruity from the very first sip. The trick to this tropical beauty is the pineapple flavored rum I used to kick up the tropical flavor. For those that don’t know, rum is spirit distilled from the fermented juice of sugarcane, sugarcane syrup, sugarcane molasses, or other sugarcane by-products.
Rum is an interesting and diverse category of liquor with many labels and styles available. Categorically, rum is typically divided into “light”, “gold”, “aged”, “dark” and “flavored” options. Rum is made throughout the world, but the Caribbean is perhaps the best known source. In cocktails, dark rums are used occasionally, light rums are more common.
Flavored rums, like the pineapple rum I use in this recipe, can be used to add more flavor. It certainly adds a nice touch to this drink. But you don’t need a flavored rum to make this fantastic tropical drink, it’s just what makes it exceptional. Overall, rum is on the less expensive side in the spirit world, so finding the right one for you won’t break the bank–so be sure to explore a bit. This rum based cocktail is a great flavorful drink to close out Summer with but still works well as you ease into the cooler months of Fall.
- 2 ounces Pineapple Rum
- 1 1/2 ounce fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3 ounces pineapple juice
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 ounce simple syrup
- dried pineapple, for garnish (optional)
- Step 1 In a cocktail shaker add the rum, lemon juice, pineapple juice, orange juice and simple syrup. Add a handful of ice and shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Step 2 Strain into a martini glass and garnish with a piece of dried pineapple.