Sometimes you just need something that’s uncomplicated. This is that. But don’t get me wrong, there is no sacrifice to flavor just because it’s simple. This gin + grapefruit cocktail is simple and straightforward in method, but vibrant and memorable in taste. Absent of any soda, this pint-size beverage is fruity and spicy with just a touch of sweetness. Although uncomplicated, this beauty if for sipping and best enjoyed by those that like and appreciate gin already.
Rouge vermouth and freshly squeezed grapefruit juice compliment the floral notes of a great gin. My go-to gin for this lovely cocktail is a new find for me, Greenbar Distillery’s City Bright Gin. I love this organic gin for its complexity. With both floral and earthy notes, this gin is smooth as can be going down. If you’re new to the gin world and looking for more guidance on what type of gin makes a great drink, check out this article by Food & Wine to learn more about gin selection. My reasonably priced go-to sweet vermouth is Dolin Rough which has a relatively dry formula, and only a slight sweetness which allows for a softer more herbal flavor which pairs perfectly with small-batch gin in this drink.
So if you need a boost to help you unwind after a crazy busy week like I had, this lovely gin + grapefruit cocktail is a sure thing.
Gin + Grapefruit Cocktail
- 2 ounces good quality gin, such as Greenbar Distillery City Bright Gin
- 1/2 ounce Rouge vermouth
- 3 ounces freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- edible flower, for garnish (optional)
- Step 1 Place a good amount of crushed ice in a lowball glass and set aside.
- Step 2 In a cocktail shaker add the gin, vermouth, grapefruit juice, simple syrup and a handful of ice. Shake vigorously for about 30 seconds.
- Step 3 Strain into the prepared lowball glass. Garnish with an edible flower.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin