Holidays are all about spirit. And by “spirit” I mean the feeling of happiness, gratitude and grace that swirls around December. Spirit is more a mood than anything religious. Anyone can have spirit no matter what ones celebrates. I love holiday spirit. The buzz, the pomp and circumstance, the gatherings, and the overall excitement that seems to touch most people in some way. The spirit during the month of December is infectious and kindness comes out in big and small ways.
With spirit comes celebration. People reconnect and toast the holidays, the year’s end, time off from work or just a break from busy lives. It’s a time when all the bad in the world (for a brief moment) seems just a little less bleak. This cranberry-cassis white wine spritzer is a celebratory cocktail I developed to toast the spirit of the holiday season. A fruity drink that is tart and flavorful, but on the lighter side. The secret ingredient here is the touch of cranberry sauce which may for a brief moment seem unusual, until you taste it. The tartness of the cranberry compliments the crisp white wine and the sweet creme de cassis in a fantastic way. The ginger beer adds a nice effervescent touch. Both smooth and festive, this cocktail is a great way to toast the spirit of the season. Wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2019.
Cranberry-Cassis White Wine Spritzer
- 1 tablespoon fresh cranberry sauce or cranberry jam
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 1/2 ounces dry, fruity white wine
- 1/2 ounce creme de cassis
- 2 ounces cranberry juice
- 2 dashes orange bitters
- splash of ginger beer (optional)
- blood orange slice, for garnish
- fresh rosemary sprig, for garnish (optional)
- Step 1 Place a handful of ice into a lowball glass and set aside.
- Step 2 Using a cocktail shaker, add the cranberry sauce, honey, wine, cassis, cranberry juice and bitters. Shake vigorously for about 20 seconds. Double strain into the prepared cocktail class.
- Step 3 Add a splash of ginger beer (if using) and garnish with a blood orange slice and a sprig of rosemary.