This is a twist on a traditional margarita and it is absolutely delicious! The simultaneously sweet and tart fresh squeezed blood orange juice helps intensify the flavor from the fresh lime juice, and eliminates the need for added sugar. You can increase or decrease the amount of blood orange juice in this recipe to adapt it to your preferences. Using a bit less orange juice and a bit more lime juice will reduce the sweetness factor even more.
Blood oranges are a natural mutation of the orange, and they are beautiful. With distinctive burgundy flesh, these oranges have a unique flavor profile: similar to raspberries, with citrus notes. Because of this, these oranges are great for use in cocktails, fruit smoothies and even salad dressings.
Blood Orange Margarita
- 2 ounces fresh blood orange juice
- 2 ounces fresh lime juice
- 1 ounce triple sec
- 2 ounces good quality tequila
- Kosher salt, for garnish
- 1 lime, cut in wedges for garnish
- Step 1 In a cocktail shaker, add the blood orange juice, lime juice, triple sec and tequila. Shake well to incorporate.
- Step 2 On a small plate, place a good amount of salt for garnishing the glass. Run a piece of lime all around the outer rim of the glass so that the salt will adhere. Carefully dip the rim of the glass into the salt and evenly coat.
- Step 3 Add several cubes of ice to the glass.
- Step 4 Garnish each margarita with a wedge of lime.